Sunday, 9 October 2011

11, 10, 9...

In UK format, the date is 9.10.11. It is my last night at home. This will be the last time I sleep in my own bed for a very long time. I have cried about three, maybe four times today (leaving the Breakfast Club, walking home, in the restaurant we went to for lunch, when Dad fixed me a "last" drink - make it five, just started again, thinking about it all) and have been over-excited about getting to see Ben again in LESS THAN 48 HOURS as well. Such a strange mix of emotions.

As usual, I will turn to music, and an old favourite at that. I first heard this song performed live at Westonbirt Arboretum by Jools Holland, his band, and Little Jimmy Scott back when I was about 19 or 20. This is Billie Holiday's version. I think it sums up goodbyes - and how they're really not goodbyes when you carry people in your heart - rather beautifully.





I'll be seeing you
In all the old, familiar places
That this heart of mine embraces,
All day through.

In that small café;
The park across the way;
The children's carousel; 
The chestnut trees;
The wishin' well. 

I'll be seeing you
In every lovely summer's day;
In everything that's light and gay.
I'll always think of you that way.

I'l find you
In the morning sun, 
And when the day is through,
I'll be looking at the moon
But I'll be seeing you.



Damn it. Six times.

4 comments:

  1. Here's Jimmy Scott's version, sans Jools Holland.

    http://youtu.be/k4pL6pMWKto

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, sounds like lots of tears. I'm still trying to suppress everything. Just focus on the excitement and remember that you're not really that far away from your loved ones xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, there were, but now I'm at the airport (hotel), I feel much better. Thanks for the support and reassurance. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! Exciting! See you on the other side! xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to write! I try to reply to everyone, and I love to read your comments.