Thursday, 2 February 2012

Biometrics and more waiting

After posting my AOS paperwork in the latter half of December, we were informed unexpectedly promptly of the acceptance of said paperwork and the scheduling of my biometrics appointment. In fact, we heard within about 10 days of the forms being mailed, and were pleased to find that the appointment was scheduled for less than a month after the original AOS filing took place - surely a sign of swift processing?! I've been hearing some encouraging whispers from the online K-1 ex-pat community about how fast I-485 forms (application to register permanent residence) and their accompanying permission forms, the I-765 (permission to work, or EAD), and the I-131 (application for travel) are going through at the moment, and so with a bit of luck, I might be able to do work - paid work - in the very near future. For now, though, I will do a quick post on the post-AOS submission, pre-AOS interview requirement: the biometrics appointment.

Not very 'Minority Report'
Photo from Google Street View
As per Anthony's (Englishman in Atlanta) post about his biometrics appointment, the futuristic drama implied by the term was not fulfilled by either the location or the process. The building itself was in a quiet corner of a set of nondescript offices, and the process was pretty much a case of handing over my appointment letter and ID (if you haven't changed your maiden name on your ID at this point, bring your marriage certificate, or they won't let you take the appointment - and they don't mention this on the appointment letter!), filling in a form, getting in a numbered queue, then having a photo taken and my fingerprints scanned into a computer. It took all of about 20 minutes, including waiting time with 7 people ahead of me. The ladies who dealt with me were all very polite and quite friendly (I got two compliments; one on my earrings and another on my perfume!), and extremely efficient. You leave with your original appointment letter stamped with the date of your attendance and signed by one of the officers for your records.

Now we have to wait on either a letter calling us to interview, or a letter stating that our case has been approved without requiring an interview. I have read that it is unusual for K-1 applicants to be called for interview, but that it does happen either through statistical requirements and/or red flags in specific cases, so I'm not counting my chickens. But the fact that we've been through a lot of a bureaucratic immigration processes now means that I no longer feel totally overwhelmed or intimidated by such a prospect. So, I am just going to get along with being able to actually be with Ben and be "normal" for a little while! 

2 comments:

  1. You seem to be zipping through much quicker than I did! :-)

    Weirdly, I received my temporary work permit recently in the post, saying that I could work from May 2011 up until April 2012, which is completely pointless as I got my green card last August and that lasts 2 years!

    Oh well, I guess we shouldn't question the wisdom of the USCIS. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems to be pretty positive so far, but it could still all be rather slow from here on (à la first step of the whole process, where you hear nothing at all for about four months!), so I am just going to see how it goes.

    That is rather strange, but I'm with you about querying the all-knowing nature of the USCIS. :D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to write! I try to reply to everyone, and I love to read your comments.