Monday, 17 September 2012

A more perfect union: the DNC from a UK perspective

My results

I planned on writing a second part to my previous "short" post about the DNC but I haven't really got too much more to say (unsurprisingly, given that last one!). So instead I will present a short summary, and then a link so all you non-US folk can see where your views fall in the politics of America.

While Clinton and Michelle Obama's speeches were rousing, touching, and inspiring, the President's speech was extremely calm, and far less of a show. He actually did what I would consider more of a party political broadcast, where specific policy details and eventual goals were covered. It still surprises me - and makes me feel a little bit uneasy - to see the political advertising on television here, as it's such a mud-slinging, fact-impoverished way of communicating with the voters. I don't think it does anyone any favours. I was glad that Obama dropped in a little joke about "approving this message" - I'm sick of hearing that daft phrase, and I hardly watch TV!

The President seemed quite sombre, although still hopeful, and focused more on what was still to be done rather than achievements so far. I guess asking people to stick with him to see initiatives like health reform and repatriation of industry is an even bigger ask right now, as so many are currently in dire financial straits and want to see change now (even if it is not lasting change, I think). The long game is a harder, but ultimately more rewarding one, hopefully with some permanent positive results. Overall, Obama came over as honest, determined, astute, and hopeful. Not flashy, but this is an election, not American Idol. I hope.

The impact on Charlotte was much talked about, and I know a lot of people were frustrated by the traffic restrictions and other safety precautions imposed uptown. I also heard a lot of excited chatter about the atmosphere up there, and people making plans to visit specifically because the DNC was in town. I didn't get a chance to travel that way, sadly, but it looked like a lot of fun!

Finally, as I mentioned before, politics here are extremely bipolar. The independent candidates, while they may have some sensible and worthwhile policies, get left by the wayside when it comes to the election. You're either red or blue. I used iSideWith.com to see what my political allegiance is (although I was pretty sure I would come out Democrat!), and found that while I was definitely a lefty over here, I actually side more with Jill Stein than Barack Obama. I had hardly heard of the woman! Click on the link to see who you'd be most likely to vote for, to see how other states are currently aligned, to compare candidates, and even to look at how people who came from various sites are most likely to vote. Feel free to share your results in the comments if you would like!


Figures!  :)


Also figures... 

Phew.

8 comments:

  1. Jill Stein - 87%...
    Gary Johnson - 83%
    Rocky Anderson - 72%
    Barack Obama - 71%

    Mitt Romney - 20% (who?)

    Never heard of anyone in this presidential race other than Obama and Romney. I guess the others just don't get reported outside of the US.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right - the big two are most prevalent here as well, but obviously back home/in Europe the US election is not the only thing on the news, so it gets consolidated into the main running candidates. But it genuinely is that bipolar, and for a lot of Americans, the only two candidates they're aware of are President Obama and Mitt Romney.

      Delete
  2. Yes, Jill Stein would be my favoured candidate, I knew of her already from some of my New York friends and my wife. I am to the left of the Democratic Party, but would vote for them out of pragmatism, unless they had a comfortable lead.

    I can't vote in presidential elections anyway, of course. Although I think my Green Card permits me to vote in some of the local elections - I'd have to check that up!

    My wife and I are going to see Michelle Obama speak tonight here in Gainesville, which I am excited about! One advantage of being in a swing state is that the top politicians are always visiting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have only read a little bit about Jill Stein, but clearly I side mostly with her. I agree with the pragmatic approach! It's great to vote with your heart, but sometimes you have to think about the statistics and what the best *possible* outcome would be.

      I hope that it was a great experience seeing the First Lady speak!

      Delete
  3. Very cool. Thanks for introducing this to me.
    87% Obama (yay)
    86% Stein
    74% Anderson
    19% Romney
    60% with other US voters

    No surprises there but I'm glad that I got those results based on genuine answers rather than just listening to Obama and nodding in agreement.

    I too thought his speech was tamer than expected but I think that was a calculated move to avoid sounding like a preacher, which gets some people's backs up. He came across as someone who was genuine in his political aims, and who really has stayed the course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome. I'm glad you liked it!

      It's definitely nice to have a tool that gives you some scope on the key issues and lets you know that you've actually considered them, and that's why you align with your already chosen party. Wish I could vote! I am guessing you can after 20 years?

      Agreed re: the tamer, less evangelical speech. I liked it, on the whole, though I see why people were disappointed.

      Delete
  4. My results:

    93% Stein
    92% Obama
    69% Anderson
    7% Romney
    57% with other US voters

    I am just 2% Republican, apparently, which sounds about right! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was a bit concerned about being 11% Republican to be honest, but there we go!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to write! I try to reply to everyone, and I love to read your comments.