Thursday, 27 September 2012

I never lived a year better spent in love

A couple of nights ago, I was struck by a sudden urge to look back through our wedding photos. It was such a joyful, exhilarating, magical day, and I was amazed by how well the photographs captured that feeling. The warm, elevated buzz of being loved and surrounded by love is indescribable, but somehow the images had some sense of it, even though frozen in time.

Then it hit me: on October 11th, I will have lived in Charlotte for a year. A whole year! Where did that go?! Of course, I still feel like a total newbie. I'm constantly learning even now, and I think I will always feel a kind of displacement, however much the Queen City feels like a second home.

Just after landing at CLT
Rather than ramble on about what I think has changed and how I think I have adapted, I thought I'd do what I did just before I left: a v-log, answering questions (so still rambling, but just in video form!). I still plan on doing my accent comparison video too, as per the first one I did just after I emigrated, but I thought another Q&A might be fun right now.

So, if you would like to ask a question about life in America, life as an expat, life as an expat coming to the end of her freshman year, language, accent, lifestyle, food, driving, or anything else you can think of, please get in touch! You can leave a comment on this post, write to me via message or wall post on Facebook, text me, email me, Skype me, pigeon - whichever suits you! Everyone is welcome, whether an old friend, an internet friend, a stranger, an expat buddy, a blog lurker, a first-time visitor to QE, or A.N. other. More than one question is more than fine, too. I would love to have a great mix of questions like last time; they really made me consider things I probably hadn't overtly analysed before, or even that I hadn't previously even thought of. I should be able to have the v-log done by the end of the weekend. Hope to hear from you, and I look forward to your questions!

2 comments:

  1. Hello from a fellow lady who 'jumped the pond for love' - living in PA. We did the CR1 visa route and I've only been here a few months - it's very bewildering!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, thank you for the comment! I see from your blog that you moved over in June. How are you coping, other than being bewildered?

      I love the style of your blog, and the photos are great. You're also gung ho in your approach to adopting American culture, which is admirable, and enjoyable to read about! It sounds like you're somewhat more in the countryside than I am, which must be a different experience entirely (although every state is too, of course).

      The post about squash made me laugh. Butternut squash is the only "squash" mentioned here, and Ribena means nothing to locals. Although you can buy it at World Market/some of the Indian supermarkets in the "international" section (at a price, of course!), I've found a substitute American product that sort of cuts it. It's called MiO, and is naturally given the snazzy title of "water enhancer". It comes in travel-sized, futuristic looking bottles and is quite expensive for what it is ($6 for about 25 drinks' worth). However, it has satisfied my fruit squash cravings for now! No blackberry, unfortunately, but they do orange and lemon, which is a good start. CVS and other drug stores sell it, so let me know if you give it a try!

      It's funny what you miss, isn't it? I never thought squash would be high on the list. We've found replacement lamb by going to our local farmers' market, who sometimes have some minced lamb in. I also really miss Tesco in general, our crappy version of lemonade (making a shandy with Sprite is not so good...), and proper chocolate. Having said that though, it's funny how quickly you adapt and learn to expect the American version of things. The only thing I can't get used to is corn syrup in bread. Sweet bread?! Noooooo!

      Anyway, that's plenty of waffle for now. I shall add a link to your blog on to QE so I can keep up with your new posts, and hope to hear from you again soon!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to write! I try to reply to everyone, and I love to read your comments.