Sunday, 4 November 2012

You may be certain...


Llama 2012

Right now, I cannot wait for the election to be over. Sure, I'm looking forward to the night itself: it'll be my first US election from this side of the pond, and I am eagerly anticipating watching the results come in, discussing it with Ben and our friends and family as the process goes on. It'll also be interesting to compare it to the way it's done in Britain.

Binders Full of Women
I have not enjoyed the vitriol that comes with the Presidential election. People are sensationalist; the bipartisan arguments go too far into irrelevant topics, and too often discussion deteriorates into name-calling and slander. While I am quite convinced that I fall to the extreme of one side in my views (I'm a Democrat because I feel that they are the only party treating people like human beings, when it comes down to it), that does not mean that a) the other party/independent candidates have nothing of value to contribute and b) that I somehow have the right to be rude about the other candidates on a personal level. I am able to say that Mitt Romney seems an inconsistent, disingenuous, and callous politician, but it doesn't follow that I have to express hatred towards the man himself. He may make a terrible President because of those things, but it doesn't mean that who he is as a person is inherently bad.

Painted on a wall in NoDa, Charlotte, NC
Photo taken November 3rd 2012.
It's true that both Ben and I would be very concerned if Romney were to be elected. Not just because of the attributes listed above, but because of what it potentially means about what America values as a population, about what sort of behaviour and prejudices are apparently okay in the name of wealth, individualism, and control. Although people may elect Romney because of the slow progress made with the economy under the Obama administration and a belief that the Republican policies will improve the situation faster, to choose (potential and not clearly outlined) plans for increased affluence when simultaneously accompanied by such bigotry seems incredible to me. You may end up with more money, but women, homosexual people, poorer citizens, and anyone who can't afford $600 or so a month on health insurance will all be taking a huge step backwards. I know that I am speaking from a position of comfort, but I would not take any amount of money, tangible or promised, if it had those conditions attached. I'm not sure I want to live in a country where the majority of people voted that they would.

Overall, though, I'm fed up with the whole thing. I can't stand the bickering; the petty sniping from both sides; the demonstrable lack of awareness of the rest of the world highlighted by media coverage. I can't even vote to make myself feel better! So my go-to trick for dealing with sudden onset election negativity is to watch the Romney vs. Obama Epic Rap Battle video, which I think actually sums up the whole thing rather well, and makes me laugh a bit too much.




That pretty much concludes any Queen's English USA Presidential election coverage until after the 6th. I will probably tweet a little throughout the evening itself, as the states' responses come in, but until then, please enjoy two Presidential candidates getting verbally and physically bitch-slapped for disintegrating the 2012 electoral campaigns into variations of the same turd.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to write! I try to reply to everyone, and I love to read your comments.