Sunday, 14 September 2014

You choose to stay

Today has felt like Fall outside. It's been cool, and the storm that drowned last night cured the air of its stifling humidity, so it's been clear too. The pathetic fallacy is something I'm really appreciating, as I feel like this past month I've been breaking a fever and, finally, I'm out on the other side, cooler, and able to recover (yes, it's one of these sentimental posts - bear with me). 

The timing, then, could not have been better for Jess and I to finally get our matching tattoos, representing strength, happiness, and looking forward. We've been planning this for a while (specifically a few months, generally probably since she verbally accosted me upon our first meeting because of my natural British propensity to eat Baked Beans for breakfast - we were fast friends). A while back, Jess gave me a Giving Key, on which the words 'LET IT GO' were inscribed. She has a similar key that reads 'TRUST'. These are lessons we both have to learn, before paying it forward and passing the key on to another who may be in need of inspiration to achieve the same. It was this that was the original inspiration for our shared tattoo design.

The design.

On top of that, and the symbolism that keys open doors, represent taking charge and making choices about which doors to open, we wanted to include love and music. Over this past year or so, Jess has held me up with unrelenting strength, unconditional support, ferocious loyalty, and encompassing love (and I hope I have done for her even half of what she has done for me). Love really is key to life and being able to say 'I lived', in whatever guise it comes. And then there's music: whether it's silly playlists, dining room dance-offs, waltzing in the Wine Vault, or (our favorite) seeing our best-loved bands perform live, music has been a keystone of our friendship. We managed to find a design that Tom at 510 Expert Tattoo could work with to include a heart and a treble clef.


Jess sitting like a champ.

The pièce de résistance is the placement. Obviously the designs match, so if we are together then you can see that Jess and I share a tattoo. But she has hers where my Claddagh is (on my inner right forearm), and I have mine where her 'Fiction' tattoo is (on her left inner upper arm).
Both finished tattoos (me on the left, Jess on the right).

Jess is like a sister to me. Even if I had the words to explain just how wonderful having her in my life is, to share a house with her, to know she always has my back about anything (from not having enough Gatorade in the house, to knowing when I need JAMMIES and cuddles, to knowing she'd gladly junk-punch anyone who even thought about hurting me), and to be able to express just how amazing a woman she is that's unrelated to our friendship, I don't think I could do her justice. She is so totally her: a whirlwind of facts and rambling, of joy and turbulent thoughts; a brilliant writer and thinker; a spontaneous and hedonistic explosion; a fierce and fearsome protector; an affectionate, vulnerable, and loving heart; and a woman who has no idea just how special she is.

The morning after.

I'm so Instagram right now.

Love is the key. And we have it.


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for making me cry at 8:00 AM on a Monday. I love you <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do what I can. ;) I love you too. <3

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to write! I try to reply to everyone, and I love to read your comments.