Wednesday, 24 December 2014

Share the same space for a minute or two...

...Or as long as I might want to. My unconditional, ten-year Green Card was approved yesterday!




I got the text and email updates while stood in a Walmart parking lot (ha!), promptly shrieked upon logging into my USCIS account and seeing the screen shown above, spoke to a random stranger who walked over from his car parked by me to check I was okay having heard said shriek (who then shook my hand and congratulated me!), and then had to sit in my car for fully twenty minutes before I felt safe to drive. I managed to get hold of my family and most of my closest Stateside humans over the next hour before feeling able to share the news at large. I also checked in with my attorney and logged into my USCIS account on a computer to check I wasn't hallucinating. I wasn't. The card is in production.

What timing. I'm absolutely blown away by how different I feel. So many things all at once: happy, relieved, fortunate, joyful, exhausted, grateful, calmer, excited. I live here. I'm not in limbo. I'm just me, Eve, sat in Charlotte, North Carolina, in my house, with my dogs, an excessively decorated Christmas tree and excellent dinosaur Nativity scene (thank you, Cassie and Lesley), looking forward to an evening with friends celebrating the holiday. 191 days from filing (6 months and 8 days); 480 days since this whole mess pulled me apart. I tried not to look too far forward during that time, and I've pushed myself to live in the moment rather than focus on the pain of limbo, and that may have been my hardest lesson (I'm a planner, and a future-thinker, and a crazy person). But now I can. And I'm better at it, and I get to do it with the love and support of some of the most incredible people on, and all across, the planet. I can hardly believe it.

But here I am. I'm in my home from home, surrounded by love from both sides of the Atlantic, and the hardest question I'm facing right now is whether I want steak or a baked potato for dinner.


So, if someone asks, this is where I'll be.

Coordinates of my Queen City - Charlotte, my second home.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations. I bet you're so glad this chapter of your life is complete. Now you don't have to bother with USCIS for 10 years or until you apply for Naturalization. Whichever comes first. And it is perfect timing in that you received an extra special Christmas gift and can move into 2015 with one less thing to worry about. And what a beautiful ring. Happy for you xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am incredibly glad, you're absolutely right. I'm feeling grateful and relieved and happy and optimistic right now, and I'm so looking forward to the new year. Thank you for your ongoing support, and your friendship (expat and otherwise!). Maybe this will be the year we'll finally meet in person. :) xx

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to write! I try to reply to everyone, and I love to read your comments.